Like your plumbing system, you want to schedule regular maintenance for your roof to prevent large-scale repairs and property damage. A roof inspection falls under the umbrella of routine maintenance, but it is often overlooked. By adding an annual reminder to your phone or calendar, you can prevent significant damage, including roof leaks or missing shingles. If you’re worried about heights or making a mistake, there are fantastic roofing companies in the area willing to provide affordable roofing inspections. Give an expert a call today
Roofing Inspection Checklist
This year protect your roof by scheduling a roofing inspection, or climb up the ladder carefully and complete the following checklist yourself:
- Actively look for cracked caulk or visible rust spots on the flashing.
- Check for signs of buckling, curling, blistering, or missing shingles.
- Look for cracked or worn rubber boots around the ventilation pipes.
- Carefully examine the roof for missing or damaged portions of the chimney, especially the cap.
- Look for signs of mold, moss, or lichen, which could be a sign that the underlayment is starting to decay.
If you are comfortable performing your repairs, you should replace any loose, damaged, or missing shingles promptly. At the same time, watch carefully for popped nails that must be hammered back into place.
The same goes for caulking. If there is cracked caulk along the roof, it costs around $6 for roofing caulk at a local hardware store. The metal or vinyl flashing around the chimney, skylight, or attic vents can be resealed with roofing caulk in a single afternoon.
If you are uncomfortable with performing your roofing inspection or roofing repairs, be sure to call Bert Roofing. We help homeowners live safely and comfortably with a stable roof overhead. Schedule a roof inspection by calling 214-321-9341 today!